Award of Fellowship
Award of Fellowship
Scholars working on the below-mentioned research areas may apply for the award of Fellowships at the Institute at any time of the year. Their applications would be considered as and when vacancies arise.
(a) Social, Political and Economic Philosophy;
(b) Comparative Indian Literature (including Ancient, Medieval, Modern Folk and Tribal);
(c) Comparative Studies in Philosophy and Religion;
(d) Comparative Studies in History (including Historiography and Philosophy of History);
(e) Education, Culture, Arts including performing Arts and Crafts;
(f) Fundamental Concepts and Problems of Logic and Mathematics;
(g) Fundamental Concepts and Problems of Natural and Life Sciences;
(h) Studies in Environment;
(i) Indian Civilization in the context of Asian Neighbours; and
(j) Problems of Contemporary India in the context of National Integration and Nation-building.
Certain areas have also been marked for special attention, such as: Indian unity in diversity, the integrality of Indian consciousness, the philosophy of education in the Indian perspective, advanced concepts in natural sciences and their philosophical implications and, the Indian and Asian contribution to the synthesis of science and spirituality. Spheres that encompass Indian and human unity, provide 'companions' to Indian literature, comparative studies of the Indian epics and human environment also come within this ambit.
1. Scholars belonging to weaker sections of society and those who are differently abled will be given due consideration.
2. Applications are encouraged from all parts of India, especially those areas perceived as ‘backward’ or ‘remote’.
3. Fellows will be required to submit a monograph on the completion of their term. The Institute will evaluate and consider this monograph for publication subject to a double-blind peer review process. The Institute will have the first right of publication/co-publication and will retain the copyright of the monograph submitted by the Fellow.
4. The term of Fellowship will be for a period of 6 months, 1 year, or 2 years. In no case will this continue beyond 2 years. Each applicant must clearly indicate the desired duration of fellowship. Please ensure that you tick the right box in the prescribed covering letter ( to be downloaded from here http://iias.ac.in/content/how-apply ). Those awarded the 2 year fellowship will be granted an extension subject to the positive evaluation of their Progress Report submitted before the end of the 1st year.
5. The prescribed covering letter can be downloaded from the website: http://iias.ac.in/content/how-apply. The application may be sent to the Secretary, Indian Institute of Advanced Study, Shimla 171005 or emailed at email@example.com
6. Fellows are expected to remain in residence from 1st March to 15th December. Their stay at the Institute during the winter months is optional. They may proceed on study tours during this period.
7. Proposals involving empirical work requiring data collection through extensive fieldwork would not be considered.
8. The pay of Fellows in government/allied services will be protected (this does not apply to private sector jobs). In addition, they will get 20 per cent of their basic pay in case they have not availed of government accommodation and can demonstrate that they are maintain a separate home on rent. The Fellowship grant for Fellows who are independent scholars is Rs. 56,400/- per month.
9. The Institute provides hard furnished, rent-free accommodation to Fellows in cottages on the Rashtrapati Nivas Estate. A reasonable lump sum rent will be charged for items such as TV, refrigerator, stove, heat pillars, geysers and bedding etc. Fellows will have access to the Institute's vehicles for local travel on payment of nominal charges. They are also entitled to free medical treatment at the dispensary of the Institute. In addition, they will be provided a fully furnished study, on a sharing basis, with computer/Internet facilities.
10. It is mandatory for in-service candidates to apply through proper channels.
11. Fellows may not re-apply until 5 years after the completion of their previous fellowship.
12. While availing the IIAS’s Fellowship, a fellow shall not simultaneously avail any other fellowship, scholarship, salary or remuneration.